Sunday, March 15, 2009

Badly Done Subtitles

Preface: Now, I am fortunate enough to be relatively fluent in French, and this gift makes it hard for me to deal with French movie subtitles, because I always feel like they are kind of wrong. Honestly, I know it's hard to create translations and subtitles that are wholly accurate.

Complaint: But on Saturday, I saw a super sad movie called Katyn, a Polish movie about this horrible mass murder of Polish intelligentsia and military officers during WWII. This was the saddest movie ever. It was crazy sad. And even though it was in Polish (I know 'please,' 'thank you,' 'okay' and 'cold beer'--'zimne piwo'), I could tell that the subtitles were terrible. It did that thing where they subtitles some written words (like on a newspaper) but no all of them. It did the thing where people talk for 45 seconds and the subtitle is "yes." It did that thing where they didn't bother to write out Christmas and instead wrote Xmas and has terrible grammatical errors (like my post).

So, seriously, if yu are going to nominate aa movie for a damn foreign film academy award, you have to have good subtitles. Waltz With Bashir had good subtitles. It can't be so hard. If you are going to make me watch the saddest thing ever, at least let me understand what is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment