Monday, January 26, 2009

Waiter problems.

I have many friends who are or were waiters, so I understand that it is a tough job, but I also understand that you can do it right, or you can do it wrong. Yesterday, I had two opposite service experiences.

Let's start with Brunch....
It was a craze at Over Easy, and Heidi and I waited for around 25 minutes. Which is kind of a long time, but no big thing. Once we sat down, our food came quickly, which is cool, but then the waiters started trying to clear our plates about 5 minutes later. For crying out loud! Just because I am not at that moment stuffing food in my mouth, that does not mean that I am finished, and you should clear my plate. Seriously- my plate is half full of food, I have had it for maybe 7 minutes, I am taking a sip of coffee and you say- "Are you done with that?" No, I'm not. Calm down. I know that you want the table, I get it, but I should be able to sit for at least as long as I waited. So back off. I also hate it when the waiter clears my plate when my companion is still eating. Or the other way around. I mean, I'm not going to get up and go because you took my plate- we will leave at the same time, so just leave the plate there. Not hard. This didn't happen at Over-Easy, but now I'm on a roll, so, please don't ask me if I want to keep my fork between courses in a fancy restaurant. If I used it, I don't want to keep it. I'm not going to lick it clean and keep it. Just give me a new fork.

But then, for dinner, I went to the magnificent Publican...
This is the greatest restaurant. Not only did our handsome waiter laugh at all of our little jokes, but he was helpful but not long winded about the menu. He was around when we needed him, but didn't hover. He was relaxed but not overly familiar and cheesy. He cleared all plates at the same time, but only after we had finished all of the food. He cleared all of the silverware after each course. It just made the whole meal that much more terrific. I can't recommend that place enough- Sunday nights, family style set menu for $45 per person. Also, they played the new Mavis Staples album, and then Dusty Springfield's greatest hits. Be still my beating heart.

2 comments:

  1. They were a craze at Over Easy! They tried to get us to leave after we'd been sitting for less time than we'd waited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word, sister. Impatience is not an attractive quality in a server.

    ReplyDelete