Friday, February 20, 2009

Aggro Swimming

I am not a fan of aggressive behavior. I think it seems a sign of our diminished sensitivity that is so common in our modern world. But honestly, there are some places where I understand it, like getting off the subway or being pushy about your cable guy being 5 hours late. I can deal with it in these contexts, because I understand that it is important to stand up for one's self.

But there is one place where this behavior doesn't make sense: the pool. When I go for a swim, I do s not just for the exercise, but also for the calming effect of the repetitive activity. It's like a meditation. I enjoy that. What I don't enjoy? An 85 year old who swim short laps so he cut in front of other swimmers. Swimmers who try unsuccessfully to pass me and then weirdly run into me. I am over it. I am not interested in this behavior. It makes exercising unpleasant, and it is totally unnecessary. Just swim at the pace of the lane. If you want to swim fast, swim in the fast lane. Unbelievable.

So, if you swim, or run, or whatever, try to be polite and respectful of other people. It's only right, and I do it for you. Also, old cutting in front of people man, pull up your shorts. I saw your old man butt like 4 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment