Monday, February 23, 2009

Car owners in Chicago have to pay a lot of fees. In theory I support this, but that's off topic. What I don't support is when the state and/or city makes it difficult to comply with various car-related regulations.

Here's an example. I received a notice on Saturday that my license plate renewal application had been rejected (non-Illinoisans: every year we have to pay $91 to get a new sticker for our license plates. This is not the same as renewing your registration or getting a new City of Chicago sticker or...etc). The reason for the rejection? No emissions test on file. I guess that's reasonable...

...I drive a super-ultra-low-emissions vehicle, FYI, but that's apparently beside the point.

I need the new stickers on my car by 2/28 or I risk huge tickets. Man, I wish I'd been given more than 5 work days to deal. and looking at my schedule I would have to go this morning, and have to be done by 10:30am or I'd have to wait until next week and risk the damn tickets.

The emissions testing facility and the driver's services facility are both open from 8am - 5pm on weekdays.

Getting the emissions test and the stickers this morning was, in isolation, easy enough. There were ~10 minute waits at both locations, not too bad, and I was prepared with filled out forms and pre-written checks and knew which line (driver's services v. vehicle services, which is not as clear a distinction as one might assume) to stand in. I do remember that 8 years ago when I first started dealing with car-related stickers and forms and lines I found it all incredibly confusing and it took much longer.

Here's the rant part: the emissions test site is more than 7 miles away from the nearest plate-renewal place. Which means that these 2 errands took TWO HOURS from leaving my house to arriving at my office.

If emissions testing is a requirement for sticker purchase, how come I can't buy the stickers at the emissions test site or vice versa? At the very least if I'm going to have to drive all over the damn city the hours should be different. I know for budget reasons they can't have extended days every day, but why can't they open early one day a week? Or stay open late one day?

This does not even address the absurdity of the fact that I was never told I needed an emissions test to begin with. Apparently I'm to blame the USPS for that as I was supposedly mailed a notice. Whatever.

GET IT TOGETHER ILLINOIS!

What, did you expect me to write about the Oscars? I have some strong opinions, don't worry. But at the moment I'm too annoyed about my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment