Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Eating "Downtown"

This was a problem in Chicago, and it is a problem near Penn Station too. There is no place normal to eat "downtown." I either have to buy $19 soup, or fast food. Within 3 blocks of my new office, there are the following fast food chains: McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, White Castle, Grey's Papaya, Dunkin' Donuts, Subway and Starbucks. There is maybe a Japanese restaurant downstairs, a liquor store across the street and a super expensivo midtown style fresh salad place in the first floor of my building. Honest to god, how hard is it to have a regular deli? Or a falafel place?
So it was in Chicago when I worked downtown near the Lake. There were Au Bon Pains (get it? haha) everywhere, with the $45 sandwhich nonsense, and Popeyes.
Where is the reasonable in between. I am not in a damn airport, I am in Midtown Manhattan, for crying out loud. A little common decency.

1 comment:

  1. So frusterating! Also, mystifying- I mean, don't we all want those places? Wouldn't they make a lot of money? Decent deli, not fancy looking, as I am going to get my food to go anyhow, SMALL portion of chinese food in a to-go box- that is what I want. But you are right- impossible to find.

    ReplyDelete