Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hiding vegetables from your kid

Ok, I'm sorry: "obviously delicious, secretly nutritious" is a ridiculous slogan. I just saw a commercial where a mother intentionally makes noise to drown out her husband saying that the canned ravioli their son is eating has "one full serving of vegetables" in it. I have many feelings about this. MANY.

Here are a couple.

-Many healthy, well prepared, foods are delicious
-Kids (and adults) often claim not to like something they've only eaten once...and it could have been the way it was prepared or the fact that taste buds need time to adjust (note: I've been called a picky eater many a time, I'm not trying to claim that food preferences don't exist).
-Perpetuating the idea that vegetables have to be hidden is insane.

I feel the same way about Jessica Seinfeld's book about cooking vegetables into cookies, or whatever, so that kids will eat them.

Yeah, I don't have kids, and maybe I'll end up with children who only eat noodles and cake, but I'm pretty sure that saying vegetables aren't delicious isn't helping. Especially because, you know, most fruits and vegetables are in fact insanely delicious when well prepared. I'm also pretty sure that canned ravioli is gross (though I'll give it fast and cheap, which I know are very important).

Actually, that's not even the point. If people enjoy canned ravioli, delightful for them. I haven't eaten it, maybe it's delicious. Heck, I haven't looked at the label, maybe it's healthy. But the idea that you have to trick kids into eating food that is good for them is ludicrous and upsetting.

2 comments:

  1. I once read that it takes three "tastes" for a kid to actually compute and determine if something tastes "bad." So it's all about getting them to taste and try things a few times, and NOT to cover it with cheese.
    The only thing I "hate" like this is okra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my sister has done research into this. I feel like she said it might even be 5 tastes? And most parents give up after the second time?

    ReplyDelete