Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bacon

I suspect that this will seem a strange post coming from me. I mean, I really like delicious foods that are not good for me, and yes, one of those foods is bacon. I put it on top of my meatloaf, enjoy bacon sandwiches for breakfast, etc.

But I am getting really annoyed by the general obsession with bacon that is going on. Why are people always talking about how amazing bacon is? Like that is something new- or that they are just totally wild and unusual. I was watching "Ultimate Recipe Showdown" last night, and one of the contestants made a grilled cheese with bacon & heirloom tomato sandwich & served it with a bacon infused tomato soup. One of the judges said, "Hello?- did you call my husband? Because he would have told you that I ADORE bacon. Anything with bacon is good." What? First, that isn't really true. Sometimes you can have too much bacon. Or adding bacon to the scene is too much (in fact, one judge who I found to be the voice of reason said that he didn't need bacon in both the soup and sandwich) Second, be quiet! It has this weird tone of a dirty confession, "oh, I am such a rebel, and I don't care, I will eat unhealthy food." Which is fine- but confessing a love for bacon is hardly out there. It doesn't make you naughty or strongly resisting some kind of pressure from the hippy-health-food culture. Also, it is only bacon that people feel okay talking about like that. When I talk about my extreme love of sausage, butter, or fudge, I get weird looks. But somehow bacon gets a pass. Also, now with the bacon band-aids, bacon bras, I heart bacon shirts... It is too much. Get over it. All you, "oh, I am so good, but I just can't resist bacon!" people- I recommend that you try some more food. There are other things out there. Let bacon just be a delicious food and not some weird fetish object.

ps. I am sure that I have been guilty of what I have spend this post complaining about. But now I have noticed it, and it totally irritates me, so I will be correcting my behavior.

5 comments:

  1. But Dixie, Bacon is the candy of meats!

    I agree. I recently got sent a link to a blog about bacon, and then not two hours later a recipe for steak wrapped in bacon. As previously noted, I DON'T EAT MEAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- see- it is things like a blog about bacon that bothers me, because I bet that it fancies itself as hip and quirky, when saying how much you like bacon is sort of like declaring that you like The Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon's "resurgence" as the most popular foodever is insane. Next week, we are going to have to talk about how Diet Coke is SO awesome cause it has NO calories.
    I blame Facebook. Bacon is the "25 Things" of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might find this site interesting
    http://bacolicio.us/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dixie! I thought for sure that there would be a huge influx of entries from you! I figured the SJOTM blog would be the perfect thing to put the FUN in FUNemployment.

    I'm guessing you've just found other ways to keep yourself busy, as I refuse to believe you've stopped having strong judgments.

    ReplyDelete